Sunday, August 1, 2010

World Breast Feeding Week 1 - 7 Aug



Image uploaded by Raphael Goetter


Today starts the first day of World Breast Feeding Week.

"World Breastfeeding week provides an opportunity to reflect on the value of the breastfeeding relationship to the baby, the family and the community." (Australian Breast Feeding Association, 2010) This years theme is 'Breastfeeding: Just 10 steps - the Baby-Friendly Way.' You can read more about it here:

http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/news/wbw2010.html

The World Breast Feeding Association is taking the opportunity to use this coming week to not only support Breast Feeding, but raising awareness to both mother and maternity organisations, including midwifery professionals.

Education and support to me, are the two most valuable practices that can be given to the mother. In my experience, a supported new mother has a far greater chance of successfully breastfeeding.

Breastfeeding is a tuff gig. I struggled for quite some time as a new mother in my breastfeeding journey. I wonder had I not had the support, how my journey would have differed. Thankfully I developed awesome team around me, including my mother, midwives, lactation consultants and health nurses. I took advantage of them all, because I was determined to do it. This positive support was essential for me. Unfortunately not all women have this. Creating awareness of all the support services available will help so many women achieve their goal of successfully breastfeeding. What an amazing gift to both the mother and child.

Expect more breastfeeding blogs this week! Its a topic close to my heart. x

No comments:

Post a Comment

I thoroughly appreciate your comments, don't be shy to leave one!