Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Floods, fires and beyond.



I had a post all set to flick live this morning on male fertility, but as I sit here watching the news and live coverage of the floods roll in, my heart is telling me it's best left for another day.

I can't quite explain how I'm feeling. I know I'm extremely sad and my heart is broken for our fellow Australians in Queensland. I can't even begin to imagine how they feel. I can compare this situation to times in the clinic where I see couples battling drawn out fertility journeys - I can see their pain and my heart hurts so much for them - but it is not a feeling that I, myself has experienced. I don't want to pretend I know - simply because I feel like that's not fair either.

I do believe in the power of prayer and so, that's what I can do. I can ask. I'm asking for safety of Australians right across the board today and every day, through floods and fires and beyond (lets not forget our neighbours in Western Australia and the fire situation either). Buildings can be rebuilt. Lives cannot. My sincere prayer and hope is that no more lives are lost.

I'm so proud to be Australian. We are an awesome community - one and many, and as we pull through this hard time, I hope that I can be a strength to others that need it. The support I'm seeing on twitter and facebook is nothing short of amazing. My fellow blogger's are pulling out the goods too - here are two of my favorites who write of the reality of the floods:


You can show your support -
Register at The Red Cross to let family and friends know you are safe, donate and keep informed

and finally - as a devout reader of Sarah Wilson - she shared something yesterday which has stayed in the front window of my mind since. "We are at our most lonely and anti-human when we fail to take part in a tragedy." Keep pulling it together Australia - you are awesome.

1 comment:

  1. I was relaying all the flood coverage to my American husband - his response? You guys are really tough and will bounce back. He's right. Thanks for spreading the word! :)

    ReplyDelete

I thoroughly appreciate your comments, don't be shy to leave one!