Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Lets get Physical!

I have been out of action lately. I haven't been able to make it to my regular training sessions at Urban Workout (http://www.urbanworkout.com.au/) and Im feeling it! Its hard juggling work, being a mother and play, but Im really missing the benefits of movement and exercise, and I realise for me, how important it is to make time for it. I was chatting with a patient about this during the week - we shared ideas as to how importance and priority in your life switches, as you feel the need. I NEED to move, I need to get outside and be amongst the trees, birds and make my way to the local coffee shop! So today, I got the pram out and grabbed my lovely friend and we went for a walk. How much better for it I feel, I can't tell you!

There is now evidence to suggest that exercise has an antidepressant effect on the body. This can be especially beneficial for the postpartum mother. Grabbing the pram and getting out and about is an awesome way to get yourself moving as well as being outside enjoying the fresh air and sunshine (another thing that has an antidepressant effect on the body). Benefits of exercise isn't limited to the mother of course, we all share the need to exercise.

Our bodies require some level of movement daily to assist in maintaining overall health. Regular exercise helps to prevent diseases including high blood pressure, heart disease and diabetes. Best of all, adding some exercise to your routine will improve your mood, because when we exercise we release 'feel good hormones' including endorphins, serotonin, adrenaline and dopamine. By exercising we also decrease the amount of 'stress hormones' present in the body (cortisol). Building up cortisol in the body can lead to a host of issues, including infertility, depression, anxiety and other stress related illnesses. It is important to use exercise to move through these hormones and to balance the body adequately.

Time is a factor for most, especially busy mothers and fathers and making the time can be really difficult. As little as 10 minutes each day is enough to 'recheck' your hormones and give your body the daily dose of hormones it requires. Making this part of your daily routine means that you don't need to find the time - its just part of your day! As an added bonus, you will most likely sleep better too! Getting stress under control means that your quality of sleep will also improve and you will have a well rested nights sleep meaning that the day ahead will appear brighter also.

So, for me, I am making myself promise to not go so long without some form of physical activity. I feel so much better just from taking a walk, meeting up with a friend and the icing on the cake, watching the kids roam about the play ground. You see, Olivia got her dose of exercise too, and now she is sound asleep letting mummy blog this to you!

1 comment:

  1. So true Nat. As you know I was too sick in my first trimester to exercise, but as soon as I felt better at 12 weeks I started walking 30-45 min daily outside. My sleep has imrpoved again and I feel more relaxed within myself. It also gives me some me-time and time to meditate over all sorts of stuff while I walk!

    ReplyDelete

I thoroughly appreciate your comments, don't be shy to leave one!